How To Prevent A Truck Accident
In Florida, we’ve had our fair share of weird truck accidents. Earlier this year, a truck carrying Busch beer ironically collided with a truck carrying Frito-Lay chip products on Interstate 95 in Brevard County. While no one was hurt, it did cause quite a mess. In 2015, a truck transporting sharks from SeaWorld veered off the interstate. One shark was killed when it was ejected from the truck. It’s easy to laugh or shake your head at these crazy stories. But in reality, trucking accidents are not so funny.
About 98% of accidents that involve a large truck (like a semi-truck, 18 wheeler, or tractor trailer) end with at least one fatality. In trucking accidents where a truck collides with a smaller vehicle, it is usually the driver or passengers of the smaller vehicle that are killed, due to the massive size difference between their vehicles.
What causes truck accidents?
- Debris in road
- Bad weather
- Poor visibility
- Equipment failure
- Poor road conditions
- Improperly secured loads
When a driver is speeding, intoxicated, tired, or not obeying traffic laws, a serious accident becomes more likely.
For truck drivers:
- Get plenty of rest. Truck drivers can travel many hours and miles each day while transporting goods. Driving for long periods of time might be effective, but fatigue can lead to a lack of attention, or even falling asleep at the wheel.
- Routinely inspect the truck’s brakes.
- Look out for vehicles in blind spots.
For everyone, truck drivers, pedestrians and small vehicle drivers alike:
- Educate yourself on correct traffic laws, like when to give someone the right of way.
- Learn about the dangers of drunk, distracted, and drowsy driving.
- Be alert at all times!
Truck accidents can lead to serious injuries and damage. Keep this information in mind, and you’ll help to make the roads a safer place!
The attorneys at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes represent those involved in car accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and other types of personal injury matters. Our firm is one of the oldest personal injury law firms in Tampa Bay. There are no attorneys’ fees or costs unless we prevail for you. Call our office 24 hours a day at 727-796-8282 or simply click here to schedule a free case consultation.