#RecallRoundup: May 2017
Welcome to the May 2017 edition of Recall Roundup! If you read our monthly recaps, you might have noticed the majority of product recalls concern food products and vehicles. So when you think of a defective product, you first thought might be a faulty braking system or a piece of metal in a food product. Since they have the ability to impact a ton of people, food and vehicle recalls are most likely to be noticed.
In the Kitchen
But other products, from clothing items to candles to electric appliances, may cause serious damage or injury, too. While you may be aware of food and vehicle dangers, it’s unlikely that you often think about the other, everyday dangers that might be lurking in your house. That is why we’re going to focus on these other products for this month’s Recall Roundup!
To consume food, you need certain non-food items, like eating utensils, pots and pans, and cooking appliances, like stoves. While you are boiling you foods to ward off botulism or sniffing your milk for mold, you probably aren’t thinking regular kitchen items. This month, maybe you should be, especially if you’re a fan of mugs and coffee! Two mugs, a ceramic mug from Michael’s and a “chalkboard” mug from Pier 1, faced recalls in May 2017. The lid on the Michael’s mug does not secure properly, creating a burn hazard. The mug from Pier 1, which uses special materials to allow users to write on its surface poses a breaking hazard. And if you own a coffee press from Bradshaw International, stop before you even pour anything into the mug. The press can break, posing a laceration hazard.
Recalls aren’t generally fatal. Unfortunately, this was not the case with a range stove manufactured by Blomberg and Summit. A plumber in New Hampshire was making repairs on one of the stoves when he came into contact with a faulty wire. He died via electrocution. Following this tragic incident, the ranges were promptly recalled. When electricity or machinery is involved, a product is potentially dangerous even without a flaw or defect. This is why recalls on home products like stoves, washing machines, and even refrigerators are particularly important.
Around the House
May 2017 also saw two overheating hazards for household goods: a salt lamp manufactured by Sportex and a nightlight from AM Conversation Group. Similarly, heaters from Carrier Corporation pose a overheating hazard.
In other household recall news, a smoke alarm from Honeywell fails to report household contaminants. If you own this smoke detector, check it now, because you’ll want it to work in case of emergency.
And finally, a recalled women’s scarf from DGFA contains flammable material. Have you ever considered that the very clothes you wear every day could be an injury risk?
As these examples from May 2017 show, recalls aren’t limited to just food and vehicles. Even the most basic household items can be dangerous or defective. This is why it’s important to stay aware of all recalls! For more information about dealing with a product recall, check out our past blog.
The attorneys at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes represent those involved in car accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and other types of personal injury matters. Our firm is one of the oldest personal injury law firms in Tampa Bay. There are no attorneys’ fees or costs unless we prevail for you. Call our office 24 hours a day at 727-796-8282 or simply click here to schedule a free case consultation.