Tropical Storm Debby: How’s my driving?
When Tropical Storms like Debby hit the Tampa Bay area, it almost seems as if some people forget how to drive. As rains, winds, and possible tornadoes continue to beat down on us all over the Bay, it is extremely important that we take caution to drive safely in these conditions in order to avoid car accidents.
The Weather Channel provides tons of helpful safety tips to make it through this rainy season. Here’s our list of Top Ten Tips for driving in Tropical storms and Hurricanes:
- Make sure your vehicle is serviced before the storm approaches. Don’t be caught off-guard — get your vehicle serviced at the start of hurricane season. (i.e. Check your tires and wiper blades!)
- Don’t drive through flooded roads. But if you must, heed these flood driving safety tips.
- Be alert for high winds, especially over bridges. High winds safety tips.
- If you see a tornado or hear a tornado warning, don’t try to outrun it.
- Allow extra distance for braking– do not wait until the last minute to stop.
- Do not drive unless necessary.
- Pull safely onto the shoulder of the road away from any trees that could fall on the vehicle.
- Stay in the car and pull over until the heavy rains subside.
- Approach ALL intersections with caution–look for operating traffic signals.
- Treat traffic lights at intersections as stop signs– look both ways before crossing!
Many car accidents occur while driving in rainy, low-visibility conditions. Inform yourself about how to approach such driving conditions, and in the end, you can avoid a tragic accident.
If you or someone you know is ever injured as a result of the carelessness of someone else while driving in unsafe conditions like rain, floods, or winds you may be entitled to compensation. The assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer will ensure that your legal rights are protected.
Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes has been caring for clients after car accidents, motorcycle crashes,bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, boating accidents, and other personal injury matters since 1955. Don’t try to handle your case on your own. Benefit from the experience of the attorneys at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes.Contact us Today!