Making an Insurance Claim After Hurricane Irma
Talk about a close call! Over the weekend, it seemed like Hurricane Irma, the biggest storm to hit Florida in decades, was coming to Tampa Bay as a deadly category 5 storm. But while we all watched anxiously, Hurricane Irma made a last minute shift away from our vulnerable coastal region. What a relief for Tampa Bay!
Unfortunately, we still saw tropical storm strength winds, which caused prolonged power outages and property damage for many residents. This means that there are plenty of Floridians who may want to make insurance claims for property damage.
Here’s what you need to know:
Aside from situations where a state of emergency is declared by the governor, an insurance company must provide you a Bill of Rights. This is provided within 14 days of receiving your first communication about your claim for property damage. The insurance company’s failure to comply does not create a separate cause of action or claim, but can help make sure your claim gets fair and prompt attention.
The Bill of Rights states that you have the right to:
- An acknowledgement of reported claim from your insurance company within 14 days of first communications the claim
- A statement from your insurance company that confirms if your claim is fully covered, partially covered, or denied. If your claim is being investigated, you also receive written notice
- Full settlement payment for your claim or payment of the disputed portion of your claim within 90 days. If your claim is denied, you also receive notice of the denial within 90 days.
- Free mediation of your disputed claim by the Florida Department of Financial Service
- Neutral evaluation of your disputed claim
If you need assistance, contact the toll free helpline of the Florida Department of Financial Services. They can answer your questions about your claim, and offer assistance with the process. Additionally, you can seek help online at http://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/consumers/.
We Can Help!
After a hurricane like Irma, you need fair and just compensation. If you have any questions or concerns about your claims, or believe you need help with an insurance disputed, you can also give us a call to schedule a free case consultation. You can also visit our website at USALAW.com for more details!
The attorneys at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes represent those involved in car accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, and other types of personal injury matters. Our firm is one of the oldest personal injury law firms in Tampa Bay. There are no attorneys’ fees or costs unless we prevail for you. Call our office 24 hours a day at 727-796-8282 or simply click here to schedule a free case consultation.