Clearing the Fog: Driving Safely in Low Visibility Conditions.
Car accidents can happen in any type of weather. In Florida, we are often confronted with unpredictable, sometimes “bipolar” weather. Naturally, it comes as no surprise to wake up to foggy driving conditions on your morning commute. We are well aware of the traffic advisory alert: “Heavy Fog; Low Visibility; Use Caution,” but what does this really mean for driver safety? It means that if you’re not careful, you could find yourself involved in a car accident that you literally never saw coming.
The Florida Division of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles have provided guidelines and details on how to safely navigate the roadways during foggy driving situations. These include:
- Never use your high-beams- it’s only going to make it more difficult for you to see through the fog.
- Clean your windshield before you hit the highway- it will reduce glare and will make it easier for you to see.
- Watch your speed- the fog creates the illusion that you may be driving slower that you think- be aware!
- Open your windows and turn off the radio- Use your other senses when your vision is impaired.
- Apply your brakes early- give yourself a greater braking distance than usual.
- Always turn on your lights- it makes it easier for other drivers to see you from behind.
Some of Florida’s most deadly car accidents have involved fog and smoky conditions on the highway. Inform yourself about how to approach such driving conditions, and in the end, you can avoid a tragic accident.
Remember, you can be the safest driver on the road, but the driver behind you may not be. Drive safely, but watch out for those who don’t. If you or someone you know is ever injured as a result of an accident while driving in unsafe conditions like fog or smoke, you may be entitled to compensation if your injuries were caused by the carelessness of another driver. The assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer will ensure that your legal rights are protected.
Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes has been caring for clients after car accidents, motorcycle crashes, bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents and other personal injury matters since 1955. Don’t try to handle your case on your own. Benefit from the experience the attorneys at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes have. Contact us Today!